Thursday, February 9, 2012

Home Grown Ginger Root!

A garden is a pleasure. Fresh tomatoes in the summer, along with the usual cucumbers, squash, peppers, and plenty more and maybe a cantelope. Herbs all around. Baby lettuces, mustard and arugula nearly year round! But then there are the unusual things to grow that are great pleasures. Asparagus, Shallots, Garlic, Spring onions. How about Ginger! I use it in stir fry dishes but I may have to explore. Perhaps some ginger syrup for ginger ale.

This is the recently harvested plant out of the pot. The Ginger has been babied in a hot frame. A root section about this size was left in the pot to continue on. A close up of the harvest is also shown.


I store my ginger by freezing it and when it time for stir fry I scrape off what I need with a knife.

The shots were taken in my bed of garlic, which are coming along nicely. You have to plant garlic in the fall to get a good sized head.

No comments:

Post a Comment